Visiting The Stage at Montgomery PlaceWelcome!
Our driving principle at Bard SummerScape 2021 is to operate with a duty of care for all our community—artists, audiences, and staff alike. In order to share performances with as many audience members as possible, we ask that you read the following information and commit to participating in our community of care.
This information was last updated on June 23, 2021.
Protocols may change. Please check back closer to your performance for updates.
The Stage at Montgomery Place FAQs
Before your visit
When placing your order, you will be asked for guest info asking some simple questions to help us plan for your visit. If you do not have this information at the time of your order, you may receive an email from our Audience and Member Services Team closer to the performance date.
You will be asked to share the name and vaccination status of those in your party and there will be advice about how to proceed if any of your party is feeling unwell on the day of the performance.
How do I get to Montgomery Place?
Bard College: The Montgomery Place Campus is situated on the east bank of the Hudson River in the beautiful Hudson Valley, about 90 miles north of New York City and 220 miles southwest of Boston.
Bard College: The Montgomery Place Campus Address
26 Gardener Way, River Rd, Red Hook, NY 12571
TRAVEL BY CAR
The Taconic State Parkway and the New York State Thruway provide the most direct routes to our campus. GPS device users: Montgomery Place is located at 26 Gardener Way, Red Hook, NY 12571.
TRAVEL BY TRAIN
Amtrak service is available from Penn Station in New York City, or from Albany to Rhinecliff, about 9 miles south of Bard. For taxi service from Rhinecliff station (~15 min. ride):
- Blue Top Taxi, 845-758-8294
- Chariot Car Service (Rhinebeck), 845-876-3000
- Red Hook Taxi, 845-876-2010
- Town Taxi, 845-876-8100
- Rhinecliff Taxi, (845) 532-5788
- Village Taxi, (845) 757-2244
- Key Car Services, (845) 532-2381
- Dutchess County Cab, (845) 905-6033
Metro-North provides service from Grand Central Terminal in New York City to Poughkeepsie, about 20 miles south of Bard. For taxi service from Poughkeepsie Station (~40 min. ride):
- A-1 Transportation 845-473-7600
- TWO SUP TAXI (845) 418-0998
- B & B Taxi (845) 704-7000
- Executive Ride (845) 204-7148
Public transportation to the Bard campus is available from Poughkeepsie Station (Metro-North), via Dutchess County’s LOOP C bus.
Both Uber and Lyft have service in the area, but wait times are around 20+ minutes and cancellations are common. Use at your own discretion.
I am visting from out-of-town for the programs at Montgomery Place. Where can I stay?
The towns and villages near Montgomery Place have all sorts of hotels, motels, inns, and bed & breakfasts, many of which offer discounts for Bard visitors. Please mention Bard when making your reservations.
Explore Bard's recommendations here.
What should I expect when I arrive at Montgomery Place?
- You will be greeted at your car by Front of House staff, who will confirm your reservation and help you find your way to parking.
- Only guests who have valid tickets for that day’s performance will have access to the grounds.
- All ticket holders will be seated in a pod that is physically drawn onto the lawn at Montgomery Place.
- For I was waiting for an echo of a better day:
- Your group will be seated in a pod on the West Lawn (max 4/pod).
- Each pod is a 10’wide circle about 3’ apart from its neighbor.
- For all other events at Montgomery Place
- Your group will be seated in a pod on the East Lawn (max 6/pod).
- Each pod is a 12’ wide circle about 3’ apart from its neighbor.
- For I was waiting for an echo of a better day:
- All performances at Montgomery Place are general admission and pods will be seated on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Please bring your own blankets or low-profile lawn chairs
- Masks are encouraged but not required for our guests at all performances at Montgomery Place.
- All Bard SummerScape staff you come in contact with will be masked.
- Hand sanitizer will be available for your use.
- In accordance with summer weather in the Hudson Valley, we encourage guests to apply sunscreen, wear a hat if possible, use bug spray, and bring plenty of water to remain hydrated throughout your visit.
- Walking distances: the West Lawn is approx .4 miles and the East Lawn is approx .25 miles from the Visitor's Center.
- Accessible parking spots and golf cart transportation to the performance areas will be available to patrons with mobility limitations upon request.
- Accessible Visitor Center and temporary restroom facilities will be available for SummerScape attendees.
- The main grounds and East/West lawns of Montgomery Place—where select SummerScape performance will be held—are wheelchair accessible. Please note that there are trails elsewhere on the Montgomery Place campus that are not wheelchair accessible.
Food and Beverage
- We ask guests to provide their own food and non-alcoholic beverages to be enjoyed in your pod.
- Beer and wine will be available for purchase from Kingston Standard Brewing Co.
- There will be a water bottle refill station located at the Visitors Center.
What is the plan for inclement weather?
In the event of inclement weather, we will post event cancellations and rain date information on the website and contact you via email and/or phone. Not all tickets may be able to be re-accommodated in the case of weather cancellations or postponements. If we are unable to reschedule your tickets you may receive a credit toward a future performance, donate your tickets, or receive a refund.
Are there special benefits for Members?
Yes! Members will be invited to a special “member hour” at all outdoor Montgomery Place events—giving you time to scope out your ideal pod location, lay out your picnic spread, and enjoy the scenery before the general public arrives.
- This is a carry-in/carry-out facility. Trash and recycling receptacles will be provided.
- Beware of poison ivy! Always stay on groomed paths and trails
- There is accessible seating and parking for all Montgomery Place performances.
- Pets are not allowed on the property.
- The Montgomery Place Campus is a non-smoking property. Please help us prevent fires and preserve this unique historic location by refraining from smoking anywhere on site.
SummerScape 2021 Venue Map